Monday 15 June 2015

Happy Beer Day, Britain!


Forget Magna Carta, today is the day for all British people to celebrate lovely lovely beer!
Today beer and pubs are still central to the social health of the nation and in economic terms they contribute £22 billion annually to Britain’s GDP.
You won't hear miserable milk-curdling nanny statists mentioning that particular statistic, now will you?
One job in brewing generates twenty one jobs in agriculture, retail, pubs, and the supply chain. Britain’s brewing scene is the most dynamic and exciting it has ever been with more breweries per capita than any other country.
So let's help it stay that way. It may only be Monday but if you have a vape-friendly local or one with a decent smoking garden, pop down there. If not, go to the fridge and crack one open, or, if you're unstocked, pop down the Co-op and get some in.

On such an auspicious day, I can but paraphrase Frank Cross's rousing 1988 speech ...
I get it now! Then if you HAVE BEER, then it can happen, then the miracle can happen to you! It's not just the poor and the thirsty, it's everybody's who's GOT to have this miracle! And it can happen tonight for all of you. If you believe in this beer thing, the miracle will happen and then you'll want it to happen again tomorrow. You won't be one of these bastards who says 'Beer is bad because I'm a miserable nanny statist', it's NOT! It can happen every day, you've just got to want that feeling. And if you like it and you want it, you'll get greedy for it! You'll want it every day of your life and it can happen to you. I believe in it now! I believe it's going to happen to me now! I'm ready for it! And it's great! It's a good feeling, it's really better than I've felt in a long time. I, I, I'm ready. Have a Merry Beer Day Britain, everybody.
Hold this day in your hearts and God bless us, every one. Cheers!

(And, no, I get naff all for posts like this, unlike Cookie who used to be able to swim in his freebies!)


1 comment:

Simon Cooke said...

Magna Carta is of course relevant since it standardised the measures for ale meaning we didn't get a short pint (except for some reason in Yorkshire where they made a religion out of pretending froth is part of the pint)