Wednesday 4 November 2009

Eat A Dog - Save The Planet



Glad I get to use that pic again.

We've had jovial and theoretical banter about this before, but here's an article in the Wall Street Journal putting the case for eating dog ... complete with a recipe.

Few people sufficiently appreciate the colossal task of feeding a world of billions of omnivores who demand meat with their potatoes. The inefficient use of dogs—conveniently already in areas of high human population (take note, local-food advocates)—should make any good ecologist blush. One could argue that various "humane" groups are the worst hypocrites, spending enormous amounts of money and energy in a futile attempt to reduce the number of unwanted dogs while at the very same time propagating the irresponsible no-dog-for-dinner taboo. If we let dogs be dogs, and breed without interference, we would create a sustainable, local meat supply with low energy inputs that would put even the most efficient grass-based farming to shame. For the ecologically-minded it's time to admit that dog is realistic food for realistic environmentalists.

The question is, which wine is the best complement to Labrador Bourguignon?




12 comments:

JuliaM said...

Any full-bodied red (setter), or course!

Turing word: imight

Pretty sure I won't...

Brew Wales said...

I'd prefer to have a beer to go with hound something from Bullmastiff or Brewdog Breweries!

Tomrat said...

Dick,

Labradors are scavengers and tend to be fatty; best to wash down a mastiff steak with some goodlocal ale.

Or for some Parisian flair how about confit of poodle washed down with a nice Sauvignon Blanc?

Mark Wadsworth said...

Bleurgh.

I think we should go with the Jonathan Porritt/BNP solution, which is to kill thirty million people in the UK, that would keep the surviving 30 million going for a few months.

JuliaM said...

"I think we should go with the Jonathan Porritt/BNP solution, which is to kill thirty million people in the UK, that would keep the surviving 30 million going for a few months."

We couldn't kill them all at once, though. The storage and refridgeration costs would be extortionate...

Dick the Prick said...

JuliaM - aaaaarrrpparently cannibals used to call prey long pigs because we taste like bacon. Now, being a skinny, chain smoking, beer soaked Northern oik I doubt i'd be too tasty but Mr Brew Wales looks like he could put on a decent BBQ (apols to all concerned - taxi? For me??)

BTS said...

So are you planning on stopping off in Battersea for a takeaway on your way home tomorrow..?

bayard said...

As Mark suggested, why not go the whole (long) hog and eat children? It's an idea with a good pedigree: (http://art-bin.com/art/omodest.html)

Anonymous said...

I could actually consider eating dog. Did anyone see that programme where those two chefs were travelling around eating all the taboo meats. They didn't eat the dog but it was more to do with the conditions the dogs were kept in; I concurred... however a dog hunted in the wild (of the town centre!) would be a different matter, for me at least.

Dick Puddlecote said...

BTS: Only if it comes with chilli sauce.

Leg-iron said...

aaaaarrrpparently cannibals used to call prey long pigs because we taste like bacon. Now, being a skinny, chain smoking, beer soaked Northern oik I doubt i'd be too tasty

You kidding? Smoky bacon - fantastic! Flavoured with beer, unbeatable. Come to lunch anytime.

I spent a little time in China and tried dog. It's not too bad although when they brought out a whole roast one with its little legs in the air I did blanch a bit.

I had my revenge by eating raw garlic and telling them what was in haggis. Picture a group of people, eating fried pig's stomach, going 'Yeuk' at the conversation. Surreal or what?

What really annoys me is that I had to have rabies inoculations before going. What was the point? They'd eaten all the dogs!

I don't have a dog. Next door does. It's a yappy little sod.

Hm. I'm hungry. That dog annoys me.

Two birds, one stone...

Dick the Prick said...

Shiiiiiit - bitten off less than I can chew - yowzers!